At last! Finally, after two very demoralizing first attempts at this cake, I have been successful. I’d like to thank everyone who supported me and believed in me, cheering me on and telling me not to give up. If I ever write my own cookery book, you are all getting a mention. As to all those who doubted me…lets face it the odds were against me anyway so no offence taken.
Dignity regained, and pride now intact; the relief I am feeling at the moment is incredible. I would not have been able to face yet another failure so I’m glad it came out as it was supposed to; no leaks, explosions, deflations etc. Although, before you go thinking that I am completely incompetent let me share something I neglected to mention in my previous post; the reason for my struggle. I am not passing the blame or trying to excuse myself but really it wasn’t entirely my fault. It was the recipe’s fault.
Maybe that sounds a bit farfetched and the saying “a bad workman blames his tools” may spring to mind but in this case it was most definitely the tools’ fault. The recipe is not just any common recipe available to the masses, obtained from the world-wide web. It is exclusive. It is a cherished family recipe passed down from generation to generation, each holder of the recipe improving it and adding their own individual stamp then passing it on to the next in line, until it reached me and I completely annihilated it. I am not trying to garner any sympathy, although I will accept it, but if news gets out I fear I may be disowned!
A slight exaggeration but the cake is a family favourite; always present for birthdays, special gatherings and breakfast the next day. My grandfather has even won a few small competitions for his famous cake and prides himself in being the one who makes it the best, regularly competing with my aunt to retain his title. During last year’s visit, my sister eagerly took down his prize-winning recipe which he was all to pleased to share, glad that someone has taken an interest and would make good use of it. She didn’t. She gave it to me.
And so the blame is passed on to her… She noted down the recipe according to my grandfather’s measurements using a small glass cup, equal to half an ordinary cup. Therefore, every time the recipe required me to measure an ingredient I would add double the amount. So, most of the dry ingredients were doubled whilst liquid ingredients such as eggs remained the same, resulting in an absolute mess! Now do you see how it wasn’t my fault? No? Then, you are not getting a mention in my book.
Thankfully by the second kitchen disaster I realised that I had interpreted the recipe wrong and so when it came to attempt number 3 I had no problems. Everything went well however I think I may have managed to annoy a lot of people with my eccentric behaviour. I refused anyone entry into the kitchen lest they spoil my concentration and attached myself to the oven, keeping watch for any explosions. Once it was ready and I was certain that nothing had gone wrong, I insisted that everyone taste it at the same time and threw a royal strop when nobody would take part in my eccentricities.
Fortunately, they did humour me long enough for me to take a couple of snaps. So, without further a do, I present to you… attempt number 3:
Look back at my previous post and see how many differences you can spot.